We like to be willfully interdisciplinary in our approach and our projects often get remixed from one form to another as they develop: so what started out as an idea for a novel, might grow towards being a film, and then a performance, and then a piece of music, and then a performance again.
Ultimately, we want to find the heart of each story and find the best form with which to share that with an audience, now.
This can make our development periods very long; so we tend to be working on multiple projects. Twice a year, as part of our ongoing practice, we do a creative exercise that we call ‘The Thirty’.
It’s essentially the two of us talking through a list of 30 ideas that we feel are current or somehow fascinating. They might be as broad as an area of research, or as well-formed as an ongoing touring show, or as nebulous as a phrase we simply like as a title. It’s a tactic for forcing us to keep difficult ideas on the table, ensuring that strong ideas – be they very ambitious, or impossible, or small, or troublesome – never get left behind.
We list them because these are all sparks that we want to fire up. Sometimes it takes years for a project to come to fruition, so we’ve got to start somewhere.
If you’d like to know more about any of these projects or help us make them happen then please get in touch.
At the moment, The Thirty looks like this:
- A Million Tiny Glitches – an electronic musical about grief
- Ocean Confessions – an augmented audio headphone piece, to be experienced at night, at the edge of the sea
- SUPERNOVA – an immersive installation that takes inspiration from the speed of sight
- The Chord – a novel. Five girls form a band to play a single chord, forever
- A Broken Consort – a feature film: music / horror / darkness
- Birds In Hell – Birds makes beats on her phone, and also uses it to record her descent into the underworld
- BUZZARD – a stage play (with dancing) about two people who earn their living as a Birthday Buzzard
- Steady State – it’s about the myths of money, and hope in endless data
- Sleepdogs Studio – audio dramas by Sleepdogs
- Dark Land Light House – an augmented reality (re)version of our theatre show about a lighthouse in space
- Father Alberto and the Flying Girl – Father Alberto imagines an illuminated book that tells the story of his downfall. A story about kindness
- Costume Test – a short film with a story hiding just inside the frame
- I Will Do It For Science – a short sci-fi film concerning procreation, with material shot a decade apart
- Nightshift Variations – faulty torch songs
- Do You Love Me Now – music by Tanuja
- Babel’s Cupid – a stage play about sex and translation
- TOTAL ILLEGAL – reverse karaoke
- Bad Actor– punk comedy about a terrible actor in London, 1812
- Version Control – adaptations >> into theatre
- Phosphenes – other people’s writing >> into Sleepdogs
- Circadial – place-specific, live improvised gig, finding ghost music in field recordings
- LNK_A films – lo-fi music videos
- Heartworm – a stage play about a quantum house guest
- Daniel Climbs – a TV drama series: a woman decides to save the young man who (maybe) killed her husband
- Hypergothic – audio series: tales from a bad-ass hypergothic world
- Save All – short stories told in augmented reality, about augmented reality
- The Collect – because sometimes ideas work together and sometimes they kill each other
- Tiny Workshops – tiny workshops
- Good Number – a stage play: a bluesman, a song collector, an electric chair
- Hartcliffe – short film following a professional bully