We like to be willfully interdisciplinary in our approach and our projects often get remixed from one form to another as they develop: so what started out as an idea for a novel, might grow towards being a film, and then a performance, and then a piece of music, and then a performance again.
Ultimately, we want to find the heart of each story and find the best form with which to share that with an audience, now.
This can make our development periods very long; so we tend to be working on multiple projects. Twice a year, as part of our ongoing practice, we do a creative exercise that we call ‘The Thirty’.
It’s essentially the two of us talking through a list of 30 ideas that we feel are current or somehow fascinating. They might be as broad as an area of research, or as well-formed as an ongoing touring show, or as nebulous as a phrase we simply like as a title. It’s a tactic for forcing us to keep difficult ideas on the table, ensuring that strong ideas – be they very ambitious, or impossible, or small, or troublesome – never get left behind.
We list them because these are all sparks that we want to fire up. Sometimes it takes years for a project to come to fruition, so we’ve got to start somewhere.
If you’d like to know more about any of these projects or help us make them happen then please get in touch.
At the moment, The Thirty looks like this:
- The Chord – a novel. Five girls form a band to play a single chord, forever
- A Million Tiny Glitches – an electronic musical about grief
- Fire In The Bookshop – an audio drama set in a world where reading books is weird
- A Broken Consort – a feature film: music / horror / darkness
- BUZZARD – a stage play (with dancing) about two people who earn their living as a Birthday Buzzard
- SUPERNOVA – an immersive installation that takes inspiration from the speed of sight
- Heart of Darkness – a theatre adaptation of the novel
- Teenage Exorcists – a TV drama based on a non-existent series of very cool graphic novels
- La Belle et la Bête – a theatre adaptation inspired by Cocteau’s film, with cyborgs
- Good Number – a stage play: a bluesman, a song collector, an electric chair
- Heartworm – a stage play about a quantum house guest
- I Will Do It For Science – a short sci-fi film concerning procreation, with material shot a decade apart
- Ocean Confessions – an augmented audio headphone piece, to be experienced at night, at the edge of the sea
- Utah – a TV serial: WWII soldiers and 21st Century teenagers in northern France
- Tiny Workshops – tiny workshops
- Father Alberto and the Flying Girl – Father Alberto imagines an illuminated book that tells the story of his downfall. A story about kindness
- Daniel Climbs – a TV drama series: a woman decides to save the young man who (maybe) killed her husband
- Total Illegal – reverse karaoke
- Nightshift Variations – faulty torch songs
- LNK_A films – lo-fi music videos
- Hauntology – a TV series: police procedural / horror / ghosts on Hi-8
- What The Found Sound – interesting noises from the Sleepdogs collection >> into the Notebook
- Dave, Consumed by Fire – a TV series: Don Quixote battles austerity in a northern town
- Birds In Hell – a film series / installation: myths transposed into a youtube odyssey
- Steady State – it’s about the myths of money, and hope in endless data
- Tiny Alarms – an international audio drama about a kid who says she can save the world
- Dodon’t – a graphic novel about a stolen Dodo
- Babel’s Cupid – a stage play about sex and translation
- Costume Test* – a short film with a story hiding just inside the frame
- Sleepdogs – pop music, maybe
* = working title